Therapy done with injections to improve the appearance of small varicose and spider veins. This treatment is effective but not curative and so might need to be repeated periodically.
What Is a Varicose Vein?
Varicose veins are most commonly found in legs and affect superficial veins. A varicose vein usually looks torturous, swollen, uneven and is caused by blood pooling due to vein valves insufficiencies. Small blue varicose reticular veins are good candidates for sclerotherapy treatment. Spider veins, which are purple to red in color, superficial, and flat, are usually very responsive to sclerotherapy treatment as well.
images of different types of veins:
Causes of Varicose Veins include:
- Prolonged standing, Prolonged sitting especially with legs crossed
- Constricting clothing at the waist
- Weight Gain/Being Overweight
Symptoms of Varicose Veins
- “Restless” legs at night
- Pain, cramps
- Throbbing legs, tired legs, tingling in the legs
- Swollen torturous or flat visible superficial veins and spider veins
Our Richmond Hill Sclerotherapy Procedure
Sclerosing irritating agent injected into the targeted vein. Small vein/vessel walls collapse and scar together to be absorbed by the body in the next several days/weeks depending on the size of the vessel.
It is important to understand that spider veins are fed by reticular superficial veins. Spider veins re-occurrence is rare if feeding reticular veins are addressed with sclerotherapy. Therefore, sclerotherapy considered to be the best and the most effective minimally invasive procedures as compared to other treatment modalities such as laser for closure and elimination of both spider veins and feeding small reticular veins. Large varicose veins, more than 3 mm in diameter, are not appropriate for sclerotherapy and are best treated by surgery.
For sclerotherapy the most common sclerosing agent for injects is Sclerodex, which is essentially a sterile hypertonic solution containing salt and sugar molecules. Very gentle but effective treatment. Treatments may need to be repeated to achieve the best results.
Pre- Post- Procedure recommendations
- As with all injections, at least 1 day before and 48 hours after procedure avoid Vitamin E, fish oil supplement, red wine, Advil/ibuprofen, aspirin to minimize bleeding and bruising.
- Injection sites post procedure appear reddened and slightly swollen resembling bee sting wheals
- Very often after treatment sites look worse before they look better
- Several treatments often needed.
- Compression hose/tights need to be worn all the time, even when sleeping for at least 5-10 days after procedure
- Avoid vigorous exercising for at least 3 days post procedure
- Avoid sun exposure on the treated area, wear sun screen when in sun for several weeks post-procedure
- Schedule you next appointment 2-3 weeks after
- For 48 hours post-procedure avoid the following: saunas, swimming pools, hot compresses
Risks of Sclerotherapy
- Risk of scars and hyperpigmentation, more common with bigger veins
- Risk of skin ulceration
- Risk of drug reaction/allergy
- Risk of reappearance of new veins
- Risk of blood clot, especially with bigger veins
Immediately contact your Eclat Spa health care provider, or your family doctor if any of the following symptoms occur:
- Inflammation, redness in the groin area
- A new sudden onset of red, swollen leg
- Formation of small ulcers at the injection site
- Being in bed due to physical limitations
- Allergy to medication used in sclerotherapy
- Swelling in extremities to be treated
- Large torturous prominent veins
Cost of Sclerotherapy
- Final price and appropriateness of the treatment determined for each client individually upon face-to-face consultation. Consultation is complimentary.
- Please book your appointment.
In general, for treatment with Sclerodex the price ranges are as follows:
|Spider Leg Veins – 50 injections||$100|
|Spider Leg Veins – 100 injections||$150|
|Spider Leg Veins – 150 injections||$210|
Our clients receive our Sclerotherapy from all over the GTA, including Toronto, Vaughan, Markham, Aurora, Newmarket, Mississauga, Oakville, Brampton, Milton, Barrie and more..
All prices and services are subject to hst.
Individual results may vary